Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

About eight years ago I had Ablations for faulty heart rhythm

About eight years ago I had Ablations for faulty heart rhythm after bout six weeks of having this done I started to have pain in my shoulders and down the upper arm pain is so bad I pass out this happens to both arms each time last for roughly three days first one arm maybe a week later the other arm I have seen my GP he says its tennis elbow but I know its not I can go for weeks without this pain but every so often it flares up again and I cannot lift my arm the pain is really bad I was told possible Polmyalgia Rheumatica but I am not sure of this could you help .PS I do have a heart problem tachycardia and leaky valves is this connected
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

The severe shoulder pain along with passing out history suggests the likelihodo of vascular cause.

Dr. D.J. :

You may be having subclavian steal phenomenon, in this condition, the blood circulation to the arm is reduced.

Dr. D.J. :

Reduced blood circulation will cause severe pain and also dizziness.

Dr. D.J. :

There may be blockage in the blood vessels as well.

Dr. D.J. :

Definitely, a CT angiogram of the upper arm blood vessels should be considered.

Dr. D.J. :

This may be related to your pre existing heart condition which can cause reduced blood flow.

Dr. D.J. :

Another possibility can be neuralgia meaning inflammation of the nerves supplying your arms.

Dr. D.J. :

Herniated disc at the cervical spine or any shoulder rotator cuff muscle degeneration can affect the nerves.

Dr. D.J. :

This can be diagnosed by the MRI scans of the cervical spine and the shoulders.

Dr. D.J. :

These tests are better ordered by a specialist preferably a vascular surgeon for vascular work up and a neurologist for the nerve related work up.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : The severe shoulder pain along with passing out history suggests the likelihodo of vascular cause.
Dr. D.J. : You may be having subclavian steal phenomenon, in this condition, the blood circulation to the arm is reduced.
Dr. D.J. : Reduced blood circulation will cause severe pain and also dizziness.
Dr. D.J. : There may be blockage in the blood vessels as well.
Dr. D.J. : Definitely, a CT angiogram of the upper arm blood vessels should be considered.
Dr. D.J. : This may be related to your pre existing heart condition which can cause reduced blood flow.
Dr. D.J. : Another possibility can be neuralgia meaning inflammation of the nerves supplying your arms.
Dr. D.J. : Herniated disc at the cervical spine or any shoulder rotator cuff muscle degeneration can affect the nerves.
Dr. D.J. : This can be diagnosed by the MRI scans of the cervical spine and the shoulders.
Dr. D.J. : These tests are better ordered by a specialist preferably a vascular surgeon for vascular work up and a neurologist for the nerve related work up.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes