Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I seem to have a lot of gas ( flatulence) lately. I try to

Customer Question

I seem to have a lot of gas ( flatulence) lately. I try to eat healthy but anything I eat seem to make it worse. Its affecting everything I do at the minute work and going out on my daily business etc.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about what you mean by a lot of gas--just flatulence without any constipation or diarrhea? Any heartburn or indigestion or abdominal pain or cramping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't really suffer pain as such. No constipation just embrassing case excessive flatulence which I'm desperately trying to control.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried anything over the counter for this? Your age and gender and do you have any medical conditions or take any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried most over the counter stuff ie prescribe meds, over the counter stuff nothing seem to be working. No medical conditions, 30, male.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just one more question--you haven't seen a doctor about this and can I ask exactly what you've tried?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for late response. I'm 30 and a male. 1st doc I've saw prescribe me a drug called colofic and the 2nd doc prescribed with mild laxative called laxido. Both prescription were unable to help with problem. I've other over the counter remedies as well.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Colofac is usually prescribed for irritable bowel syndrome which could be the problem here but I would do more of a workup with blood work, upper and lower endoascopy, and a screen for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug which can cause your problem without your having an ulcer. I would also have you on probiotics for now and would try simethicone. I can't tell you exactly the problem here but beside IBS this could be lactose intolerance, celiac disorder, H pylori (which is treated with antibiotics and Nexium), or a malabsorption condition. For all this, the best thing for you would be a referral to a gastroenterologist