Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have had a cough for approx four to five weeks now and when

Customer Question

I have had a cough for approx four to five weeks now and when I cough, I cough which seems from my boots and some times bring up globuales of flem and are nearly sick, tried treating my self with honey and lemon, cough mixture but still will not go, what else can i do please?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello have you shown a doctor for this? any medicines taken?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do yu have any fever?

Customer:

No

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, this is something for which you need to show your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

as your cough has been continuing for more than a month, and it is very severe, you need to show your doctor for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you are likely to need antibiotics for this

Customer:

Not sure

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you may be having a bacterial infection

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you could also be having pleuritis or inflammation of the lining of the lungs

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is best to show your doctor for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

home treatment is not advisable anymore in any severe cough lasting more than a month

Dr. P. Jyoti :

important tests for you are:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

chest Xray

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Sputum culture and sensitivity

Dr. P. Jyoti :

blood CBC, sugar

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss these tests with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

they are necessary to find the exact cause of your cough

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Also when I cough I can not control myself and sometimes pass urine which can be very embarassing I now wear a pad. Does this mean that i have a weak bladder. I do the floor exercises to strength my pelvic floor. hope this problem will not continue

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is stress incontinence

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is not so much a weak bladder as weakness of the pelvic floor muscles

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you are right to do the floor exercises which will help in this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

continue with the exercises

Dr. P. Jyoti :

look up these exercises also which will help you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

No thank you very much for the advice as I was getting quite worried about this cough It is so embarrising

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Customer:

No thank you and thankyou for your advice, will try and make an appointment which gets increasingly more difficult each time one rings up for one.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes I understand

Customer:

Thank you for the advice will get an appointment with my GP asap thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but tell the doctor you have been having a cough for one month

Dr. P. Jyoti :

that will help you get an early appointment

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

wish you a quick and early recovery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Doctor has been more than helpful has answered my questions satisfactory and I will be seeking further advice from my own GP this afternoon as I have had a cancellation appointment

Glad to help.

wish you a quick recovery.