Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Good morning, I would like to ask a question. ?In November

Customer Question

Good morning,

I would like to ask a question. ?In November me and my husband faced some constipation issues. My husband went to Holland and Barret and bought the Potters Herbal Cleansing. It was good and we relieved. The problem was that since then I am taking that as initially I thought it was herbal and natural and there were no dangers in the leaflet.
I then started reading the internet and I get conflicting information so I got a bit scared.
I would like to know the following:

What long term use is considered?
What are the side effects? What overdose is considered?
And shall I stop it once and for all or slowly. I have 2 spoons per day not every day though.
Is it considered chemical?

Thanks a lot
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

long term use is several weeks to months in time.

Dr. David :

active ingredients are senna laxative and Psyllium fiber and Frangula Bark (Buckthorn)

Dr. David :

these are all very safe ingredients

Dr. David :

sometimes excessive gas and bloating and diarrhea can be caused by these agents.

Dr. David :

it would be hard to impossible to overdose on these agents.

Dr. David :

don't let your anxiety get out of control on this.

Dr. David :

this is a very safe product.

Dr. David :

these are not chemicals

Dr. David :

senna is a natural fruit laxative

Dr. David :

and psyllium fiber is bulk fiber which is also in metamucil and is very safe.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Customer:

ok pffff ok because i am reading all these staff and got really stressed that once i give up i will have issues and no movement etc.

Customer:

What is overdose. Do you know? Also if i would like to stop it how should i stop it becuase to be honest i feel nicer with how daily functions

Customer:

what are chemical laxatives so we know ?

Customer:

Thank you very much

Customer:

Finally the good thing is that i noticed that you dont really loose weight cause this is not my purpose at all Is that true?

Dr. David :

chemical laxatives are things like magnesium citrate.

Dr. David :

which are much stronger laxatives.

Dr. David :

overdosing on laxatives is taking multiple doses a day and having problems with diarrhea from over use of laxatives.

Dr. David :

but it doesn't sound like you are doing this.

Dr. David :

it is not the purpose of laxatives to cause weight loss.

Dr. David :

if you are using too much of it, it can cause dehydration and weight loss, but this would be overdosing on the laxatives.

Dr. David :

you can stop them at any time when you want to. that is fine.

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: I had a few follow up questions and also one part pf my initial response was not responded. If i want to stop can i stop it immediately?
Customer: also i didnt get response on the initial question on side effects
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
yes, you can stop the use of the laxative immediately

sometimes laxatives can cause diarrhea, bloating, gas as the most common side effects. but these symptoms usually are mild and go away when you stop using the laxative.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again

I still have many questions.

Is senna stimulant laxative that cause damage to the colon? And if yes after how long? Does this mean it might cause damage but afters years of use?

When you mentioned that it hard to impossible to overdose could you please give me an example?

Like 3 spoons a day is overdose? Or how much?

If i stop it immediately would i have troubles of not visiting the toilet at all.

Shall i stop it progressively?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
senna laxative is safe and should not cause damage to the colon.

many people can take it for years without problems. but this long term use should be monitored by a doctor.

3 spoons a day would not cause overdose

more like 30-300 spoons a day would be an overdose.

you can stop it progressively if you want to

if you stop it suddenly, you should be fine.