Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My daughter has a swelling in her throat, got told this morning

My daughter has a swelling in her throat, got told this morning no swelling present, so just wondered if a medical advisor/gp would that a look at the photo and let me know thier opion on the swelling present
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Hi I do not see a picture attached. Though I doubt it would be helpful.

Often when children feel a swelling in the throat its due to inflammation and irritation of the mucous membranes from bacterial or viral infection. Its not actual swelling and the appearance of the throat can look normal,

A throat swab for strep is usually done. For pain, Tylenol can be given. Medicated throat lozenges or menthol lozenges can help. Salt water warm gargles also help.

Hope this gives you a good start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi thnak you for reply, hope you dont mind added a picture, there are white spots on the swelling and we wondered if it could be tonsilitus (she gets viral throat infection every 2/3 weeks never really goes away) but this time swelling has started.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
You cant see much from the picture, but yes there are white spots. She is of the age that she should have a strep test. If it is not strep and is viral, treatment is supportive as I noted above.