Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

hi since arriving back from new zealand 7 weeks ago ive had

hi since arriving back from new zealand 7 weeks ago ive had nothing but a sore throat on my left side of my mouth and a mild earache on the same side.for the first 2 weeks i did have a bad infection which i think i picked up on the long flight which has finally cleared up..but my throat problem hasnt.Im now getting worried that it may be throat cancer as i did drink alot for 5 years in nz due to depression..can you advise me please..thank you

kevin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--so you haven't had a doctor look at your throat? What kind of infection did you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im going to see my doctor again for the 3rd time in 7 weeks on friday..i had a bad infection from my nose ..coughing up flem ..yellow in colour..oh sorry i didnt get her to look at my throat then,I have always suffered from blocked up noses..also my throat always seems dry now

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kevin so before this all started no problem with your throat or your ear and no problem swallowing? Did you ask your doctor about cancer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

always had a problem with my left ear ..blocking up with wax so i used to have it sucked out every 3 months.no problem swallowing until this started..and no i havent talked to her yet about cancer..just getting worried about it due to my past heavy drinking

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kevin. No real reason for me to suspect cancer from what you've told me. First off, throat cancer doesn't hurt. Second it doesn't just suddenly announce itself with symptoms like yours. This could be a sinus infection problem and I would get a ct scan of your sinuses to look for that. I also would screen you for mononucleosis--used to be called the kissing disease--because that can cause a persistent sore throat for weeks. Of course, if you're still worried, you can see a gastroenterologist for upper endoscopy. One other possibility would be gastric acid reflux at night where the acid bathes your throat while your sleeping. Probably the best thing I can tell you is, if this were me, cancer would be the last thing on my mind
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i didnt think to tell you im on blood presure tablets and i do take a acid tablet once a day.I may also have sleep apnea and am going for tests..im over weight as well..yes im unfitbut am off the drink and going to slimming classes...i dont know if this mak es any difference

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, even with the acid table you still could have reflux but really my answer is still the same Kevin--don't worry about cancer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok dr chip ..goodnight and thank you