Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I suffer from major depressive disorder and panic disorder.

Customer Question

I suffer from major depressive disorder and panic disorder. I am from Adelaide South Australia. My conditons are so severe that I need to have periodic E.C.T. which helps a lot. I am also on the best medication as far as I know at the moment. The panic disorder coincides with the depression. I am 39 years old have had these problems since late teens. There is a strong genetic affiliation for these problems in the family. Recently, a medication that was the only one from the benzodiazepine family which relieved the panic attacks has been banned/severely restricted in Australia. I have not taken any for about four months but I am suffering so much now that I feel at risk of self-harm and suicide. In the past I was taking 0.5mg 3 times a week when well to keep the situation under control. I have never been a substance abuser, intravenous or otherwise. I do not drink alcohol. I am a perfectionist when it comes to exercise and a balanced diet. I am a smoker though but lately this has has exacerbated itself from 11 a day to about 20. The medication I am referring to is alprazolam or Xanax. During my hospital admissions in the past my doctor was prescribing it 0.5mg four times a day. I feel suicidal. Not everyone who takes a drug of dependence should be put in the same box.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

JACUSTOMER-yenxkrpd- :

catherine

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Catherine

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry you are struggling.

Dr. Phil, MD :

How can I help?

Dr. Phil, MD :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-yenxkrpd- :

I was hoping you read the initial description of the problems at the beginning of this program so I did not have to go over it again as it is detailed and complex, I was trying to describe the previous and current treatment of my difficulties, what the main issue that is now exacerbating it, etc.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes, I read it

Dr. Phil, MD :

But I didn't see a clear question in there

Dr. Phil, MD :

What is it you need?

Dr. Phil, MD :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-yenxkrpd- :

I need my if required prescription for alprazolam restored, you cannot stop something completely if it has been part of your regime for 10 years. However I realize you cannot help me with that being overseas. It involves a new law surrounding the prescription of alprazolam introduced in South Australia, changing it from a schedule 4 to a Schedule 8 drug. I don't know if the law surrounding this drug is in the United Kingdom or elsewhere. I am suffering because of irresponsible substance abusers. And my current psychiatrist, who I had to speak to on the phone yesterday (He is in Adelaide, I am in the country) I felt like he did not give a shit. He already knows I recently took to much serapax. recently as I was desperate

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
The other expert has opted out.
I have read what you have typed above about the current situation.
You are correct that we cannot provide prescriptions through this site/
We can only provide information in response to questions?
What information would be helpful to you at this point?