Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My Son had chicken pox, for about 11 days resulting in ear

My Son had chicken pox, for about 11 days resulting in ear infecting crusty nose and antibiotics. I have something like siunitus really bad at night lots and lots of bloody snot headaches over salivation and dry mouth at night. My daughter 3 years old has yellow but stable poo an itchy head and bloated tummy. She has come through the fever last week. This seems to be the most hellish 2 weeks ever and although the doctor gave us antibiotics for Ben they are saying mine and Imogen's illness is not related. Imogen my daughter also sicked up some blood in the clear liquid one night and her throat looked really red and sore. Do you have any clues? What should we do sit it out?
Elinor
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry that your entire family has been so sick.
To answer your question, it will help if you could provide some further information:
Was Imogen seen for the vomiting of blood or the red, sore throat?
Was Imogen having the fever and the red, sore throat at the same time?
Or did these symptoms follow one another?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Imogen was not see with the red sore throat.

2. We inspected her throat after she was sick and sore white spots and red lines on the tonsils.

3. The fever was before the sore throat.

:(

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

First, your doctor is correct that the chickenpox in your son would not be related to the illness of you or your daughter. The chickenpox virus will only be transmitted to another person as chickenpox, but would not cause a "cold," a throat infection, a sinus infection, or a gut infection.

On the other hand, though, both you and your daughter could be having manifestations of a virus infection. The primary concern in your daughter is the severity of the throat infection that you describe. In the situation that you describe, it is appropriate that your daughter be checked for a Strep throat. Statistically, it is more likely that it is a viral infection, but there is a fair chance that there could be Strep present, so it would be appropriate for her to be checked.

Otherwise, management of a viral infection is rest, fluids, and symptomatic relief.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.