Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have swollen ankles which worries me but does not seem to

I have swollen ankles which worries me but does not seem to worry my gp. they swell up every morning and stay swollen all day. I have had blood tests which were all normal I am seventy five years old
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any other symptoms besides the swelling of the ankles?
What evaluation has been done for the swelling?
Do you know which blood tests have been done?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
What chronic medicines do you take?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so wanted to address what information is available.

Ankle swelling can be a sign of a systemic illness, but also may simply be due to poor venous circulation in the legs. It it also possible that swelling can occur as a side effect to certain medicines. If there are no associated symptoms, then it is much less likely that it is due to a systemic illness. That is why I asked for the additional information above.

If the swelling has been found to be due to poor venous circulation, also called chronic venous insufficiency, this is not as serious an issue, although it can be very bothersome. The usual first-line treatment for chronic venous insufficiency are medical compression stocking, such as TED stockings. The medical compression stockings are generally more effective than the type purchased in clothing stores. Another option if there is an inadequate response to compression stockings would be the use of a supplement, horse chestnut. This supplement may help ease the swelling in people with chronic venous insufficiency by improving venous tone.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.