DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dear Doctor, I have been experiencing urinary urgency & surapubic

Dear Doctor,
I have been experiencing urinary urgency & surapubic pain for some time and lately arousal sensation also. I had bad endometriosis removed 1 year ago and also cystoscopy at same time. Results from cystoscopy this were slight inflammation. After endo op I had 4-5 months od zoladex injections and felt back to normal 1/2 way through. At end of this treatment urethra had prolapsed slightly - it feels red raw all the time and is incredibly sensitive. It is just at the entrance of the urethra and look like a small thin strip of red skin. I also have a disc herniation at s1l5 + annular tear which is apparently not pressing on nerves presently. I also have a arachnoid cyst in sacram which is causing scalloping. I am seeing back surgeon shortly and may need to have op as this is causing problems. My urologist has told me to get my back sorted out 1st before seeing him again. I have changed my diet completely andavoid anything to irritate bladder. This is on-going every single day and is hard to deal with. Do you think my back probs are contributing to bladder probs or is this seperate?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Back problems can contribute to a spastic bladder.

Clearly your urologist fills this as well.

When was your last urologic exam?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had cystoscopy carried out just over a year ago and another cystoscopy at the same time of removing endometriosis last spring. My urogynacologist has also treated me a few months ago with small amount of silver nitrate on caruncle, she also looked in to urethra with camera and said it looked normal up until end of urethra, it hurt at the end when she took cystoscope out. Silver nitrate helped me for a few days initially then skin came away and urgency came back with a vengeance. My urologist has said he can remove this under general anthasetic and then I would need to have tube in urethra for a few days whilst it heals and to check bladder at same time. I know this is not going to go away on its own and need some advise, I am also frightened that if I have any more ops that my bladder will be totally messed up for good but am desperate to get it sorted. It is really affecting my life and I would not wish symptoms on anyone.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I do not believe the operation would mess up your bladder.

What is your question at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think that urgency is due to urethra probs, it is incredibly sensitive and I can only shower and use no perfumed soaps ect. How long does it take for urethra to heal from having some of it's tissue removed?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
this can urgency
As can infection
As can interstitial cystitis of the bladder.

I would have the urethra swabbed for extensive lab testing on bugs before doing surgery.

3 to 6 weeks to be more or less fully recovered from the surgery as far as activities.
Up to 6 months for full long term healing.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had strep b found in vag swabs a few times over the last yr or so and also once in my urethra + had antibiotics. Whenever any normal discharge or period blood goes in to urethra it stings like mad. What microbiological tests do you recomment I have?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Bacterial and fungal.
Possibly viral.
Also GC and chlamydia if not done.
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is gc? I have tested negative on all STDs, smear test normal, all urine test(s) have been normal, not in a relationship. As I am waiting for back appointment 1st I have got time to get these tests done in urethra. Last vag swab 2 wks ago borderline strep b again.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
GC is gonorrhea.

Please to not forget a positive rating.