Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My mother is 91 years old and has been told she has an abdominal

My mother is 91 years old and has been told she has an abdominal aortic aneurysm who also has C.O.P.D. and osteoporosis with two open craks in her spine that has never healed after a fall. I gather the aneurysm is a large one. I have been told today that the decision has been made not to treat her. I am not privvy to who made this decision yet but I am now on the case and I am trying to consider options left open to her. I daresay there will be opision, but I will get through that if there is a chance my mother' life could be saved to an endovascular repair.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry about your mother's abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Dr. David :

the first thing is to get reports and find out how large the aneurysm is.

Dr. David :

it is very hard to do this type of vascular repair surgery in a 91 year old patient

Dr. David :

she would have had to see a vascular surgeon to have made the decision not to repair her AAA.

Dr. David :

if she has other medical problems, the AAA abdominal aortic aneurysm may stay stable and might not be a problem in her lifetime.

Customer:

My mother tells me she has pain in her back and around the area where his liver is. Also, she has looked very yellow for around 2 years although I am told that whenever she has her blood work done her liver is OK.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

the back pain could be due to cracks in her spine from her prior fall.

Dr. David :

the blood work to check for is her bilirubin level to see if that is elevated.

Dr. David :

do you ever go with her to her doctor appointments?

Customer:

Yes. This is her main problem. Her back however has now started to bend to one side. I believe that this maybe the cause of the pain plus the pressure from the 'large' aneurysm.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

the large aneurysm would not cause pressure for her to bend to one side.

Dr. David :

but a fractured back bone or compressed vertebral body could do this

Dr. David :

this can be helped with a thoracic brace.

Dr. David :

or she should see a spine surgeon and see if a kyphoplasty procedure could help support the bone and keep it from compressing further.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

sorry, I changed to question and answer format by accident.

let me know if you have other questions.

you will have to refresh your screen