Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

What is the prognosis for secondary liver cancer?

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.

Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes please
where did it spread from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We're not sure. It might be the eye. My mum had radiation therapy on the back of her eye and it got rid of the cancer. But it has popped up in the liver. Ultrasound has shown a nodule and some smaller bits on the same area but the doctors aren't sure if that is cancer or just burst blood cells. She had a ct scan today and they are going to discuss treatment on Thursday but I don't know what to expect. I fear the worse.
If it is metastatic then the prognosis is poor

however, it still depends on the primary tumor.

Sometimes it can still be treated or cured

I would say the prognosis is anywhere from 6 months to 5 years!

Yes, it can vary widely
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it be cut out? How can one know if it is metastatic or not?
Yes, it can be cut out and biopsied

That is how we will know.

By a biopsy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If not metastatic, and it is cut out, what is the prognosis?
then it is very good

that should be a cure
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I hope it isn't metastatic then. What does that really mean? Metastatic?
It means spread from a distant site or another organ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ah man. She has malignant melanoma so it's probably metastatic right? .... If it can be cut out, can this still get rid of it?
No, it can't

Melanoma has a very poor prognosis

If it is malignant melanoma it is about a 6 months life expectancy

I'm sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I mean she has had malignant melanoma for 4 years. Her eye was a primary cancer. We don't know yet about her liver. If it is primary, is there a good chance it can be removed?
yes there is absolutely

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure, you always get an excellent. Rating from me. With my mums history, is it likely to be a primary? She had some moles removed and told that her eye cancer was not linked to them and that neither were metastatic....
Then with that history I would say primary
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States