Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

MY DAUGHTER HASDEPRESSIO THINKS SHE IS PHYSICAL SICK HAD LOTS

Customer Question

MY DAUGHTER HASDEPRESSIO THINKS SHE IS PHYSICAL SICK HAD LOTS OF TESTS DONE HAS GONE FROM BEING HYPERACTIVE AND OVEREATING TO STAYING IN BED ANN HATEINE ME
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry that you and your daughter are having such a difficult time.
However, it is unclear what information you are seeking.
What is your question?
How can we be of assistance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is her angry her way of trying to heal

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what can i do 2 help her

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what can i do 2 help her

There are a number of options that can help with depression.

Anger is not a means of trying to heal, but it is a manifestation of the depression. Depression can cause a variety of symptoms beyond just feeling depressed. Some of these are emotional, such as the anger, but also may be manifested as a sense of hopelessness and helplessness. There also can be a variety of physical symptoms, such as altered sleep patterns, altered appetite, and weight changes. The fact that she has anger as a manifestation is not a reflection on her or you; it is solely how the depression is being manifested in her.

The primary treatments for depression involve several different medicines and counselling, and may require both interventions. The first line medicines are the SSRI antidepressants, but can also be augmented with antidepressants in a different chemical class, mood stabilizers, or several other medicines that may augment the effect of antidepressants. If she is not responding well to the commonly used antidepressants, then it would usually be better to be seen by a Psychiatrist, who would be more familiar with the use of these additional medicines.

As for what you can do, the primary role is to be supportive and to recognize that the anger directed towards you is the disease and not her. You can continue to encourage her to seek proper medical attention. Ultimately, any person with a mental illness needs to be willing to seek treatment, and while you can't force her into any particular treatment, you can continue to encourage her to seek more treatment whenever any current treatment is not sufficient.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.