Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I do have a bit of arthritis in both knees but they are not

I do have a bit of arthritis in both knees but they are not actually painful , they click a bit but it is perfectly manageable . However in recent months , I have developed a strange feeling in both legs ; it feels as though the joint system is like elastic bands and rather weak . It is a feeling that one would normally expect with extreme shock of some sort .
Actually there is no shock . Is there anything I can do about this ?

Regards XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What evaluation have you had for the arthritis?
When you say that the joints are weak, does that mean that there are times that the joints are unable to support the stress across the joint?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had x ray and this has confirmed significant wear and tear in both joints . They are not painful or stiff however ; just rather clicky . The tablets I am on , and have been for some time , are for high blood pressure -- candersartin 32 mg and indapamide 2.5 mg . I hope this helps .

David

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

The usual first-line treatment for arthritis is an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as the ibuprofen or naproxen that is available over the counter. However, the primary advantage of the anti-inflammatory medicines is for relief of pain or stiffness, and since you do not complain of any pain or stiffness, these medicines can be help in reserve for if these symptoms develop in the future.

Another common intervention for the wear and tear type of arthritis is to use two supplements, glucosamine and chondroitin. Like most supplements, the clinical evidence is weak, but these supplements are purported to help promote the growth of cartilage in a joint. If there is more severe loss of cartilage, then they are less likely to help, but in someone early in the disease process, they may be more likely to help.

I ask about medicines to be certain that there are no adverse interactions of any of these recommendation with any medicines that you are already taking, and there is no concern about using these combinations.

The other primary intervention to help with the weakness and the sensation of elastic bands would be exercises both to increase the strength of the muscles around the joint and to improve the flexibility in the joints. Exercise should be a combination of aerobic exercise and muscle strengthening. For many people with arthritis, aerobic exercises that are not weight bearing are frequently better tolerated, such as swimming or water aerobics. If there is not any opportunity to be in water, then exercises that are less weight bearing may be better, such as bicycling. Strengthening exercise usually involve resistance exercise, which can be weight lifting or a variety of exercise machines, and the exercise that may work best for you would depend upon what resources are available to you. If you are a member of a gym, then they usually have a staff person to assist you in designing an exercise program to accomplish your goals. It also would be an option to be seen by a physical therapist to provide guidance on an appropriate exercise program.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for these suggestions . You have a good point regarding excersise . I will do swimming and try cycling . One last quesion if I may then I'm done . I have noticed that the sensation is worse if I am suffering form a cold virus for example . Does that make sense in your experience ?

David

Yes, it makes sense that a virus may exacerbate these symptoms, through two common mechanisms. A virus can directly affect the skeletal muscles or joints, which is why muscle or joint aches are two of the possible symptoms of a viral infection, but in someone with muscle weakness or joint symptoms, the virus exacerbate the symptoms. Additionally, viruses can cause a general sense of feeling poor, called general malaise, partly from the infection itself and partly from being partly dehydrated. This general effect also may exacerbate pre-existing weakness.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.