Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My Serum Creatinine is 38.000 umol?l I am a year old fe

My Serum Creatinine is 38.000 umol?l I am a 69 year old female.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Can you please tell normal reference for Serum Creatinine
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you have any associated symptoms?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on no medication. I just take supplements. I suffer from poliomyelitis (contracted in 1966), and since 15 years also have arthritis. On the blood test liver function sheet it only says amongst other like sodium (139.0), potassium (4.1), urea level (3.0) and creatinine (38.00). It says the urea and electrolites are abnormal.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Well, the normal level of creatinine is usually 60 to 110 micromoles per litre. Your value is 38, which is very low. Your doctor may further request some additional medical testing to find out why the levels are low.

Actually, Creatinine is a byproduct of creatine phosphate( a muscle protein), which is broken down by the body to make energy. It is used as a marker of kidney function.

Also, one of the most common cause is Aging, It leads to loss of muscle mass further leading to lower creatinine levels in older adults.

It can also be associated with wasting diseases, sudden weight loss, myasthenia gravis, muscular dystrophy, and injuries.
Other reason could be low protein diet. Less intake of protein foods would result in less creatinine in the body

Liver disease could also be the reason for low creatinine levels.
You should get liver enzyme panel, kidney function test, ultrasound examination of the liver.

Also, creatinine clearance test can be considered.

Your electrolyte levels are normal in range.

Yes, low levels for creatinine is of concern, and has to be further investigated by doctor.

I would recommend that you visit your General Physician for evaluation and get it managed.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that. It seems that my liver functions are normal: ALT level (13.0), alkaline phosphate (53.0), total bilirubin level (9.0), calcium (2.310), inorganic phosphate (0.84), total protein (71.0), albumin (43.0), globulin (28.0). GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD (60.00 mL/min). It states that Urea and electrolites are 'abnormal'.

Dear Customer,

Thanks for further clarification.

Well, people with kidney disease might develop several electrolyte disorders. That is the reason, for abnormal electrolyte levels.
Actually, Urea is a waste product formed from the breakdown of proteins.
Having low levels of urea can occur with- Low protein diet and Malnutrition.

Possible cause could be related with kidney, It has to be further investigated.
If required, your GP may refer you to Nephrologist.

At this, time, please start with your GP.

I hope this helps.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.