Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Pain in right hand side of face , eye, ear, teeth, not toothache,

Pain in right hand side of face , eye, ear, teeth, not toothache, been to dentist and doctor, says it may be sinusitis, not convinced, antibiotics making no difference. What else can it be?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am head and neck surgeon and can assist you. Since how long you have this? Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat etc? Any pain on pressing the face area? Any test done? Which antibiotic you are on? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had it for two weeks, getting worse, nasal obstruction yes, but no discharge or fluid trickling down throat.
I have pain when pressing face area and pain in my gums. Had an X-ray when at the dentist but did not find infection, he did not X-Ray my back teeth though.
The antibiotic I am on is doxycycline 200mg - two per day.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Robert I am realy sorry to hear about your problem. As per symptoms in my opinion, yes this is acute sinusitis, Pain on pressing face area means that it is maxillary sinusitis. Pain in gum means that infection has spread to gums to some extent. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations use of over the counter xylometazoline nasal spray, 2 puffs thrice daily for five days, over the counter tab sudafed twice daily for seven days and steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily for ten days can really help you. For pain you can try over the counter tab aleve twice daily. You must see an ENT doctor or at least your local GP to get CT scan of sinuses as X rays are not very good in detecting sinus infections. But the main thing you need is change of antibiotic. Doxycycline is not the best antibiotic for sinusitis. In resistant cases like yours, i would prefer that you get clarythromycin 500mg twice daily. Don't worry you will be fine soon, please follow my suggestions. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm Alergic to penicilan is clarythromicin ok?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your input. Yes clarythromycin doesn't belong to penicillin group of antibiotics and yes you can use it safely. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery