Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have had swollen red right tonsil with what seems like ulcer

i have had swollen red right tonsil with what seems like ulcer with craters on for12 weeks gp prescribed antibiotic x two types for acute tonsilitis feel well in my self this has not gone feel like i have a lot of phelm and need to clear
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Was a culture of the tonsils done, either initially or when there was no improvement with the initial antibiotic course?
Was penicillin used for both courses? Or was a different antibiotic used for the second course?
Are you having any other symptoms?
Do you use any chronic medicines?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

It is unusual for a simple tonsil infection to persist for 12 weeks despite two courses of antibiotics. If there is a persistence of an infection despite antibiotics, then it may be related to a deep pocket of pus that is not treated with the oral antibiotics. It may be necessary to undergo a procedure, either the drain the pus or to remove the tonsils. This would typically be done by an ENT physician.

It also would be appropriate to see an ENT physician to address other possible causes of these symptoms. It is possible that there could be another source of infection that drains into the throat, such as the sinuses. It is possible that there could be some acid irritation of the throat from acid reflux. The other concern whenever there is a persistent ulcer on the tonsils would be the growth of a cancer.

The ENT physician will be able to consider these other possible causes of the symptoms and perform any diagnostic or therapeutic procedure that may be necessary.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.