Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

i have a resting heart rate of 116 minute ,no pain ,just a

i have a resting heart rate of 116 minute ,no pain ,just a cold . will i be ok to go to work tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you mean that you have high heart rate because of cold & flu/infection?
Do you have fever?
Any previous history of increased heart rate?
Headache? Sore throat?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have no pyrexia .no headache . i have a cold which is subsiding. i am on levothyroxine125mcg but i do not think it related to yesterdays high hr as i took on day prevoius to that and nearly 24 hrs lapsed prior to symptoms . i have had a couple of sudden rapid hr in last 18 months/ last occasion had ecg which dropped to normal sinus tachycardia 0f 120 min at rest,this seemed to resolve itself on both occasions/just took me off my feet for a day or two.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Yes,you can go to work tomorrow but make sure there should not be any hard work or any work that involves exertion.

A normal pulse rate for a healthy adult,while resting can range from 60 to 100 beats per minute.Average pulse rate is 72 beats per minute.

A heart rate over 100 beats a minute is called tachycardia.First the cause & type pf tachycardia is to be diagnosed.Whether its origin is in atria or its in ventricles.

Your pulse rate of 116 per minute is slightly above normal.

You need following tests to rule out any heart disease

-Electrocardiogram(EKG)
-Stress EKG,
-Holter monitoring,

Holter monitoring is required.It is a machine that continuously records the heart's rhythms. The monitor is usually worn for 24 - 48 hours during normal activity.Your doctor uses information captured on the Holter monitor's recording device to figure out if you have a heart rhythm problem.

Keep an eye of observation.If the heart rate further increases(like above 120),then you should avoid work & go to ER.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you can go to work tomorrow but there should not be any work that involves exertion & make an appointment with cardiologist for these tests so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert