Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I HAVE BEEN COUGHING FOR OVER 3 WEEKS.MADE AN APPOINTMEENT

I HAVE BEEN COUGHING FOR OVER 3 WEEKS.MADE AN APPOINTMEENT WITH A NURSE AT
LOCAL SURGERY SHE SAID I CULDNT HAVE ANTIBIOTICS BUT INHALE STEAM TO ALIVIATE
MY CATARRH.THIS WAS LAST TUESDAY.SINCE THEN IHAVE DONE NOTHING BUT COUGH
AND BRING UP YELLOWISH PHELM .ITS DRIVING ME AND MY WIFE MAD .I AM NOT EATING
AS I DONT FELL LIKE IT .WILL I EVER GET RID OF THIS CATARRH?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.

Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have sore throat?
Running nose?
Any fever?
Do you have breathing discomfort?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I HAVE A SORE THROAT.NO RUNNING NOSE OR FEVER.THE ONLY

DISCOMFORT I HAVE IS MY STOMACH MUSCLES.ALSO NO SENSE

OF SMELL.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Although most of sore throats &cough are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.

Sore throat & cough caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.

The symptoms you are having of cough,catarrh,sore throat since last 3 weeks is most probably because of bacterial infection.

You need antibiotics to cure these symptoms.The nurse you consulted gave you the steam inhalation can alleviate the symptoms temporarily but to cure the infection you need to consult your doctor to get the antibiotics.

Till then following will help you greatly:

-Keep a humidifier running in your room.

-Using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

-You need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up from the airways.Expectorants contain ingredients such as guaifenesin, ipecachuana or ammonium citrate.

-The only expectorant available in OTC products is guaifenesin (some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).

So I advice you to consult your doctor for throat culture test & prescription of antibiotics to cure the infection & hence the relief from symptoms.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SPEEDY REPLY MOST INFORMITIVE I WILL

MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE MY DOCTOR ON MONDAY.

EXCELLENT SERVICE.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the words of appreciation.

Yes,you can get the antibiotic as required with your appointment with your doctor on monday.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer yet.Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert