Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Hi i regularly suffer for tonsillitis, maybe 3-5 times a year.

Customer Question

Hi i regularly suffer for tonsillitis, maybe 3-5 times a year. I travel alot with my work and usually get it when im run down and jet lagged.

Normally what happens is il feel myself getting il then id get all the syptoms and recover within about a week, with antibiotics.

over two weeks ago i returned home from working in asia a felt myself getting run down but i never really developed the tonsillitis symptoms only a very mild sore throat which came and went over the 10 days at home. Also my lymph nodes in my meck were enlarged. For a few days. As my sleep pattern adjusted i felt as though the symptoms were getting better and i got called back to work in asia and lost lots of sleep felt very run down. And the symptoms came back all though still very mild. Im on a contruction barge and the glands in my neck and sore throat have gone down alot but my tonsils are swollen but painless and no other symptoms.

Anyway on the 13th of dec i had sex with a girl i didnt know and am starting to think it might be hiv. What do you think
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.

Ken :

Ken :

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Ken :

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?

Ken :

Do you have any associated symptoms like fever/ difficulty in breathing/ cough or chest pain?

JACUSTOMER-do3upttu- : I saw the onboard medic and he gave me some antibiotics for my tonsil
Ken :

I assume no investigations were obtained.

Ken :

Please calm down.

Ken :

Let me explain a bit.

JACUSTOMER-do3upttu- : no their very brief
Ken :

Was the sexual act protected?

Ken :

Did you use a condom?

JACUSTOMER-do3upttu- : 90% sure it was i woke up wearing it was drunk
Ken :

That relieves me.

Ken :

HIV transmission occurs when -

Ken :

There is exchange of bodily fluid like blood, semen or vaginal fluid.

Ken :

Use of condom avoid such transmission to occur.

Ken :

If you were wearing condom {even if you were drunk} when you woke up indicates -

Ken :

That you wore it when your penis was taut. This has to be before the act.

Ken :

Thus I would not think of this act as unprotected act.

Ken :

Secondly -

Ken :

Acute symptoms of HIV infection generally occur in 2 weeks after the exposure and stay for a week or two and than go away.

Ken :

The symptoms are - Flu/ Fever/ rash/ enlarged nodes, extra.

Ken :

I would like to state here -

Ken :

None of the symptom is specific of HIV and do not specifically indicate HIV infection.

Ken :

In your case -

Ken :

I would think of infection at the throat {viral or bacterial}.

Ken :

The risk increases when you travel {with change in surroundings, food and water}.

Ken :

The risk increases with abnormal sleep pattern as well.

Ken :

Other possibility of reflux disease also need to be considered.

Ken :

Whenever there is inflammation at the region drained by nodes - they enlarge {normal reaction of the body}.

Ken :

The nodes go back to normal size once the inflammation or infection is taken care of by your immune system.

Ken :

Next step -

Ken :

A physical evaluation {ENT would be preferred} along with few investigations like blood tests/ throat swab {to look for causative organism and specific antibiotic sensitivity}/ chest x ray and upper GI scopy.

Ken :

These would give us more answers.

Ken :

Till than -

Ken :

Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}, steam inhalation do help.

Ken :

Benadryl and Ibuprofen should relieve discomfort if any.

Ken :

Does this make sense?

JACUSTOMER-do3upttu- : yes thanks doc appreciated. Worrying certainly hasnt helpedy sleep either
Ken :

I do understand. BUT

Ken :

Do not panic. I do not see any reason to worry.

Ken :

You need to forget the incident and move ahead in your life.

Ken :

I aim to provide 'Excellent' service. Did I give it to you? If so do consider to rate my answer.

Best

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Ben,

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more details.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi since we last spoke i have developed flu sympotms i feel light headed and tingling fingers my doctor has prescribed me with manclamine 1000.
My main concern is that i have had a sore throat for two and a half weeks, then the painless swollen tonsils and now the flu stmptoms. My immune sustem doesnt seem to be working very well at all!
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Ben,

I do understand your fear.

Let me again assure you protected sex prevents HIV transmission. Hence in your case - You do not have HIV.

Many a times your immune system is not able to get rid of the infection, this does not mean that your immune system is weak or you have HIV. Unless proved no symptom definitely points to HIV.

Manclamine is a good antibiotic and I am sure it will help you get rid of the infection. i would get a throat swab - to know the causative organism and its sensitivity to a particular antibiotic.

Best

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi after several day of being on the amoxicillin and having no results my dr put me on cefuroxide. still had no results. still have painless enlarged tonsils and lymph nodes in neck, mild fever and sore throat that comes and goes and moves around my mouth sometimes onto the side of my tounge. and occasional ear ache.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Ben,

I would ask for throat swab to see for the causative organism and sensitivity to particular antibiotic.

Again - I do not think of HIV.