Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My left side of face is swollen++ so painful++++-around ear

My left side of face is swollen++ so painful++++-around ear area, difficult to chew for 2 days. I took paracemol and Ibuprofen on a regular basis with poor effect. I think I have had mumps as baby. No temperature and gland is tender but no swollen. I am 55yrs,female, single and no children. It is weekend and have to wait for GP until Monday. Please help!!
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Where exactly is the face swelling? Just in front of ear or by the side of nose over cheek bone? Is there any pain on pressing the ear? Any bad taste in mouth? In what dosage you have taken ibuprofen? I am an ENT specialist so I can help you. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

swelling over cheek bone in front and under the ear. pain on pressing the ear and painful ear during the night. no bad taste. 200mgx2 Ibuprofen. many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. Without examination it is difficult to ascertain the cause but as per symptoms it seems that you have developed infection of your ear canal and from there the infection has spread to parotid gland and cheek area. In ear canal infection there is no fever mostly. The best thing is to visit emergency room to get an assessment but definitely you are here so you need our help. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can use over the counter tab aleve twice daily. It is better and stronger than ibuprofen. If you want to take ibuprofen then you have to raise the dosage. 200 mg twice daily is very low dosage. It has to be 400 mg thrice daily at least to get a pain relief. So if you have 200 mg tablets, the dosage is 2 tablet thrice daily. DRink plenty of water, don't take ibuprofen on empty stomach and put heating pad on the cheek and ear area. Don't let water enter your ear. Use oil soaked cotton in ear while taking bath. Eat soft and liquid diet to avoid chewing. Visit your doctor on Monday but preferably today to get assessment as you may need antibiotics. But don't stress yourself, you are going to be ok soon. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.