DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had IBS for around 8 Yrs now....sometimes never having

Customer Question

I have had IBS for around 8 Yrs now....sometimes never having any attacks for months however the last few months haven't been good for me....I spent all of December & part of January being constipated which Is not the norm for me.....I then started to fluctuate from constipation to diahorrea and for the past month/6 weeks or so have changed to mushy poos some days having 3- 5 per day some days 1 or 2. My GP has never sent me for any checks. I did pay for a private health check myself 6 months ago which included abdomen scan & a virtual colonoscopy and the results were fine. I'm worried about having had mushy poos for quite a while as this is not the norm for me either....my question being as I've had a virtual colonoscopy which was fine does it mean I can't have anything sinister..
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No it does not
A virtual colonoscopy does not have the data to say it is as good as a colonoscopy.
It is good, but not the gold standard.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible that IBS can act up on and off for that length of time (3 months)
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
But since you have not had a colonoscopy, I would do that.
Please to not forget a positive rating.