Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Having been advised that my husband has priXXXXX XXXXXver cancer

Customer Question

Having been advised that my husband has priXXXXX XXXXXver cancer he has not gone ahead with any further operation on his bladder cancer which is non invasive but aggresive. The original surgeon, now retired, removed 80% and although I am doing everything to give him a balanced lifestyle (renting a small apartment by the sea) including diet and vitamin tablets (i also take them), I wonder if he were to have a cystoscopy to remove any residual tumours in his bladder if this will also effect his liver situation or is it best to leave it all alone and hope for the best. As you can imagine I worry about his health everyday. He does not wish to go into hospital again which was his first time, at the same time I think he is scared about what is happening in his body although he does not talk about it to me. Hence the reason we are living somewhere he does not have to bump into people we know or have to continually discuss his health. Your views would be helpful. Thank you Mary XXXXXXX

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How far advanced is the liver cancer?
Is there evidence of liver dysfunction?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

Generally speaking, a cystoscopic procedure will not exacerbate liver function, particularly if done only with sedation (i,e., avoiding general anesthesia). However, I ask about the level of liver dysfunction because significant liver dysfunction can make the cystoscopic procedure more difficult. This would particularly be true if the liver dysfunction is at such a level that the blood does not clot well. The liver is the site of production of the proteins in the blood that form clots, and if there is poor blood clotting, then the cystoscopic procedure should not be done until the clotting mechanism is improved, at least as much as it can be improved. If the liver is such that it cannot be improved, then the cystoscopic procedure should only be done when absolutely necessary.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.