DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

A friend of mine aged 85 (she had an endoscopy on Feb 18) began

A friend of mine aged 85 (she had an endoscopy on Feb 18) began to have hourly period of a sensation in her throat and then her mouth filled with blood clots and blood. This bgan to happen on Mar 3rd. She was taken into hospital on Monday evening and observed for 36 hours. She continued to have the episodes but not as regularly. They discharged her just 4 hours after the final episode and she continued to have them infrequently (around 3 times a day/night) and she has now gone for 50 hrs without one. She is wondering where on earth the blood/clots is coming from there is NO coughing involved at all. She tells me today she has developed some discomfort in her upper back which she didn't have before. She is very distressed abouth the episodes and has not been able to have any explanation for them. She was unhappy about being discharged whilst still having the episodes. Could you help with any explanation as I've never heard of it before. Many thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Inflammation or ulceration in the esophagus could cause this.
Even after an endoscopy.

Nose bleeds could cause this as well.

Bleeding in the lung.

Bleeding in the stomach.

One must worry about damage from the endoscopy, so she should be talking with the doctor who did the scope.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There were three weeks between the endoscopy and the episodes of clotting would this be too long a gap to be significant or the cause?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
That can not rule it out.
But it makes it more unlikely.

Inflammation can cause ulceration and that can bleed.

Please to not forget a positive rating.