Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am a female, years old and for the last few months I have

I am a female, 69 years old and for the last few months I have had a very distended abdomen, which is noticeable and commented on as I look as if I am pregnant. I suffer from chronic constipation which is currently treated by taking Fybogel as well as Senna as well as glycerine suppositories three times a week. That is still not terribly satisfactory however.

I have had an UtraSound scan which showed "quite marked gaseous distention throughout the abdomen, but no other abnormality".

The doctor treating me seems to think I should just live with this distended tummy, but I am unhappy with that as it makes getting clothes that look reasonable difficult and going out on an evening almost impossible as the distention gets worse during the day and is at its worst just before I retire for bed.

Is there anything you can suggest to resolve this?

(I have tried colonic irrigation which had a limited effect for a very short time and was very expensive.)
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

There is a new drug out called linaclotide

This drug is amazing for chronic constipation

I would ask your GP about this

It works quite well and is very safe.

It will relieve the constipation and gas.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.