Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have a tooth in the bottom left side of my mouth which has

I have a tooth in the bottom left side of my mouth which has become very loose and sore. I went to the dentist on Friday afternoon and he gave me antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. I have suffered all weekend with this tooth but I am afraid to go to the dentist because I do not tolerate the adrenaline in the injection well. It makes me feel faint and my heart pounds/races. Is there an alternative to this type of injection?
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

I assume you mean 'Root-canal' treatment by taking out the nerve. If this is done than there should be no pain. As you are having pain in the region indicates - there is part of the nerve left OR there is infection of the surrounding gums or bone. I would get few investigations like x ray for the region and blood tests to get more answers.

If adrenaline causes you side effects than you may request your dentist to use xylocaine without adrenaline as an anesthetic. It helps too. Adrenaline just increases the period of anesthesia. Main action is of the xylocaine drug.

As of now - Warm water gargles {with pinch of salt} should give relief along with the analgesics you are taking.

Wish you well.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. Would the dentist do the blood tests or my doctor. By the way, I live in France and wondered if the XYLOCAINE you mention is available here... I suppose you might not know that! Do you think he would take the tooth out for me without an injection? I think that's what I would like and it would only take a second or two.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Wendy,

Xylocain {Lidocaine} is used worldwide and it should be the drug used in France too {with or without adrenaline are the two options}. Your dentist will order the tests needed {blood tests and x ray}.

I would avoid removal of the tooth without local injection!

Good Luck