Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have a pain in my lower back . i does not feel like a sore

Customer Question

i have a pain in my lower back . i does not feel like a sore back. could this be a kydney problem?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some more details:
At what level is this pain? Is it close to the rib cage or further down the back?
Is the pain in the center of the back or more to the side?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

The simple answer is that back pain can be due to kidney pain, but the location might adjust the likelihood that the pain is from the kidneys. Pain that is in the center of the lower back is typically not from the kidneys. When the kidneys cause back pain it is typically felt off of center, usually deep to the thick muscles in either side of the spine. It is also most often felt in the upper portion of the lower back, close to the lower edge of the rib cage. Pain that is lower in the lower back, but still off center, it also can be from the kidneys, although not as typical as pain in the upper portion of the lower back.

Of course, pain in these latter areas could still be musculoskeletal in origin, but pain in these areas could be from the kidneys.

Therefore, if the pain is in the center, it is not likely to be due to the kidneys, but if it off center, particularly higher in the lower back, it could be related to the kidneys.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.