Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I am a smoker and now and again I get short of breath I have

I am a smoker and now and again I get short of breath I have a salamol inhaler but its not very effective
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have associated symptoms like chest pain/ cough/ fever? Were any investigations done to see for the cause?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't hve a cough its just that I get a bit short of breath sometimes

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Joan,

Shortness of breath can be due to varied causes. Were any investigations done - chest x ray/ EKG to be specific?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
I am happy that there are no associated symptoms.

Shortness of breath indicates reduced lung function {abnormality at the lung - emphysema/ bronchospasm/ infection or pleural effusion}/ abnormality at the heart/ anemia, vitamin deficiency.

In your case I would think smoking as the likely cause however I would rule out other causes as well.

Next step - a physical evaluation along with few investigations like chest x ray/ EKG, echocardiogram/ blood tests to get more answers.

Treatment will depend on the cause.

Wish you well.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it not possible for me to get an effective inhale I don't need it every day just sometimes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ken is it not possible for me to get an effective inhaler

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Joan,

Inhalers are of two types - bronchodilator {dilate the airways} and one containing steroids {dilate the airways as well as reduce the inflammation}. Steroid ones are more potent.

It is not possible for me to write a prescription here {it is illegal}.

Best