DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been diagnosed with a hyperthyroidal condition. The

I have been diagnosed with a hyperthyroidal condition. The hospital are going to call me in for two scans and then an appointment with a surgeon. I should have the operation in 4 months' time.

In the meantime I was advised to drink enough to prevent de-hydration. the doctor I saw at the hospital did not think I would collapse. How likely is a collapse and am I safe to drive?

I would be grateful for your advice please.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

Good question.
It depends on how hyperthyroid.

It can cause the heart to race, and if that is bad enough, you should be on a beta blocker medicine to prevent collapse.

It is unlikely you will collapse if this is mild hyperthyrodism....but you need to ask your doctors that question.

Is your TSH very very low, like .01, in such a case you should have more immediate medical intervention as I have mentioned.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have high calcium levels in my blood. The specialist I saw at the hospital today did not mention my heart and this has not been checked by my GP or the specialist.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hyperparathyroid causes high calcium.
If it is not too high, there is no reason you should collapse before surgery.

Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know the calcium levels are high. I know the figure 3 was mentioned - perhaps for hormone levels.

Should I have my heart checked in case I need beta blockers

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
Simply have an EKG
That is all that is needed currently.
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I safe to drive? Neither the specialist at the hospital nor my GP has mentioned an EKG

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

As long as your EKG is OK and you have no symptoms, yes.

But ask your doctors as well.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert]. Please to not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I request an EKG? from the hospital

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the specialist at the hospital who I saw today, not have advised an EKG then if he thought it was necessary?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
NO
He didn't think it was necessary is the best guess.
But it is the safeest.
Please to not forget a positive rating.