Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi, Ive recently started to get a smooth shiny reddish sore

Hi, I've recently started to get a smooth shiny reddish sore on my foreskin and shaft of my penis after I used a Condom with my wife during sex and the next day felt very irritated and sore around the head of my penis. I noticed a day or so later a reddish smooth raised blister type bump, which then broke and formed a semi scab over it. After washing the scab came off and the sore area seemed to increase in size, reform another scab and same again, just getting larger by the day. I have also noticed some very small red blood type spots/rashes on the edge of the head of the penis and some further small wart type bumps lower down on the shaft of my penis. Some of these seem to be forming like a cluster around or close to the first smooth like red sore on the foreskin, but more noticeable when i pull back the foreskin.

Could this all be due to the Condom, or is it likely I've somehow contracted an STD.

I have been faithful and believe my wife has also, been together almost 10 years, so am not sure why this should all be happening.

It's quite painful when I take a pee, it stings at the end of my penis and is also abit uncomfortable further down inside my urethra when I pee, but the reddish colouring tends to go when i keep it dry for as long as possible.
It seems to look worse after bathing/showering when wet.

Any suggestions would be great. I should probably see a doctor but have recently moved abroad to France, so not sure currently on how to get this checked out.
Hope to hear back from someone soon.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

These painful blisters can be caused by the condom allergy as well.

Dr. D.J. :

However there is another worrisome possibility--genital herpes.

Dr. D.J. :

Genital herpes lesions also can be similar as you described.

Customer:

Hi Dr, thank you for your swift reply.

Dr. D.J. :

The viral outbreak usually starts 48 hours after exposure usually.

Dr. D.J. :

In many cases, the virus stays dormant in the body for many years.

Dr. D.J. :

Hence, the exact time of transmission is not possible to predict.

Dr. D.J. :

So, in your case, these are the most likely causes.

Customer:

I don't see how I could have caught anythking as we ahve been together for years and literally not been anywhere for months away from eachother, so my wife nor I coudl not ahve caught anythig from anyone else.

Dr. D.J. :

I will still consider condom allergy as more likely given your faithful long term relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Has any one of you had any herpes outbreak in the past?

Customer:

OK, I hope thats right. I was in Indonesia and Thailand about 10 years ago where I was quite permisco=uous and not very careful, but I never seemd to show any symptoms over the years for anythning resembling a sexual disease, luckily!!

Customer:

No noe we know of

Customer:

sorry none we know of

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Customer:

I just had unprotected sex again yesterday with my wife, as the symptoms seemed to be improved after afew days, but afterwards it seemd to get worse again.rday with my wife without acnmdom as the

Dr. D.J. :

a bacterial superinfection also is possible on top of the allergic reaction.

Dr. D.J. :

in case of bacterial infection there may be some worsening.

Customer:

I ahve also a small tear just underr the head of my penis from where the skin joins underneath in a straight line from underneath to the top under the helmut about a centimeter long, which is also quite painful. Its a small surface tear, not deep.

Dr. D.J. :

ok that can also be due to the bacterial infection which is not sexually transmitted.

Customer:

Sorry its sounds like quite a mess, but just from looking at it, it doesn't actually appear to be too bad, I;m hoping its just perhaps too vigorous a session maybe while using the condom, thats caused alot of irritation, but its quite worrying nad has been itchy and sore for about two weeks now.

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Customer:

I think perhaps we should both go to our local doctor here in France and see what he suggests treatment or testing wise.

Dr. D.J. :

If this is itchy and sore, then fungal infection is another good possibility.

Dr. D.J. :

So genital herpes is unlikely.

Dr. D.J. :

Fungal or bacterial infection is more likely.

Dr. D.J. :

Fungal infection can be itchy and sore, while bacterial infection is usually sore.

Dr. D.J. :

The infection can be superimposed on initial allergic reaction.

Customer:

Is it possible my wife has Cystitis maybe that has caused this. I have had some genital warts several years ago, but these cleared up after applying a topical ointment. I've had no recurrence of these on the actual penis head, but have recently noticed a wart on the base of he shaft, could this be linked?

Dr. D.J. :

genital wart is separate issue which will not cause sore blisters.

Dr. D.J. :

And cystitis can be related to the current condition.

Customer:

the infected area where its sore is all around the head of he penis and along the tip of the foreskin. The sores only look shiny and smooth when I pull back my foreskin and its then I notice the small shallow tear under the helmut. I have two areas or sores that are smooth and red on the foreskin and then some smaller red spots near the first sore.

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

Fungal infection or bacterial infection is more likely.

Customer:

OK thank you Dr, I'm not sure how this all works on this site and so apologies if I've taken up too much of your time or asked too many questions. I think its best I see the local doctor here and try to get this sorted/diagnosed once and for all. Thank you for all your help. Kind regards James

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

do not worry this is fully treatable with prescription creams.

Dr. D.J. :

Antibiotic cream mupirocin, and antifungal cream ketoconazole can be used daily for a week.

Customer:

Thank you so much for that, its been very worrying for me, much appreciated.

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent (click on the smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Will do, thanks again!!