Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been being sick for 3 weeks but has got worse even when

Customer Question

I have been being sick for 3 weeks but has got worse even when I'm driving and my asthma has got worse, my GP said i also have a temperature. She listened to my chest for ages and said it didn't sound right wasn't 100% sure it was an infection. She's given me antibiotics which so far haven't helped. I had a blood test today and a chest xray on Wed. What do you think could be causing these symptoms. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what exactly are all your symptoms and how long have you been on the antibiotics? Do you take asthma medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had asthma for years but usually it's fine probably last 7 weeks or so been getting worse I take blue and brown inhalers. I started being occasionally sick and sometimes just retching until I cry about 3 weeks ago but has been getting worse. Fri as soon as I got out of bed I was sick then again before I left for work then twice in the car and again throughout the day. I went to GP on Fri and started amoxicillin Fri evening. I have a problem with my jaw awaiting investigations at JR. I'm very hot and sweaty and have lost a bit of weight. I'm on medication for depression and reflux although both controlled well with medication. I'm 45 single. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Jackie--so it's basically a nausea and vomiting problem? Any abdominal pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sometimes lower abdomen

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Which side and any problem with diarrhea?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Usually in the middle, yes fairly loose at the moment had an accident a few days ago walking to the village shop couldn't get to a toilet in time

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jackie--two things here. The worsening asthma could be from worsening reflux and you may have an H pylori stomach infection that's both causing that and the nausea and diarrhea. Alternatively you may have an infectious colitis from, say, E coli or salmonella. You need the H pylori screen and a stool sample for culture and you may well need different antibiotics from the ones you're on.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Saw GP today. My temperature has risen in a week, my blood test showed that there is something wrong however it didn't indicate what. I'm retching all the time when moving especially in the car. Very rarely bring up food although think I'm now bringing up blood. My GP has arranged for a camera investigation and said i may be admitted.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Did he give you his thoughts, Jackie?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She said that everything is indicating that something is wrong but she didn't know what. If i lay still i don't retch when i walk or am in a car i retch a lot. I've got a problem with my tmj i think that's what the dentist said it's called but I've spoken to my dentist who doesn't think it's related. Have you any ideas.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Are you eating and keeping food and liquids down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yea it doesn't seem to make any difference if i eat or don't eat. To be honest it's rare that i bring up food it's yucky stuff that now looks like old blood. I'm eating although not loads and making sure i have fluids and i am losing a little weight although not loads but to be honest I'm exhausted having a shower really tires me out and it's easier just to lay down

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Did your doctor send a stool sample for cultures?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm taking one in for Monday morning

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, Jackie there really isn't much more I can say for now since I can't read your doctor's mind. Hang in there and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had several blood transfusions 5 or 6 in the past due to severe self harm thankfully not a problem now. Other symptoms have developed I spoke to gp today and gave her my history as I've recently moved to this area she said could be a problem from the transfusions as my blood is behaving strangely. I've looked for stuff with similar symptoms and found one in fact a friend did and it does fit. I'm not saying this is possible I don't work like that I just need to know what is wrong then I can deal with it. The possible illness malaria - do you think that's possible. As I say I'm not saying that's the problem at all but I'm feeling worse. I've had a lot more blood tests today and going to the Horton hospital on Fri for some others. What do you think - apart from mad for looking on the internet. Thanks Jackie

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Jackie--did you find out what was wrong with the blood tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what they're testing for today although one is clotting as last night I had a tiny tiny cut between my nostrils and it wouldn't stop eventually did then an hour or so later I was in bed reading and it started bleeding again took over an hour to stop. Also so tired no energy in bed by 1830 or laying on sofa to be honest dropping to sleep now. The blood test I had done 2 weeks ago showed a raised level in something but can't remember what the GP said it shows that something is wrong but doesn't indicate what - sorry this is vague. Also my body aches, my lower back is uncomfortable laying on the bed my arms hurt when I move them. Does this help at all

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well--so far as malaria goes, have you been in an area of the world where that disease is prevalent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No but as I say I have had several blood transfusions how likely is it that that has something to do with this. I don't care what's wrong I'll deal with it I just want to know what is going on

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You wouldn't get malaria from blood transfusions--Jackie, let's do it this way--find out exactly from your doctor what was abnormal in your blood work and then let me know and we can talk about it