Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have slightly dulled hearing in one ear, Id like your opinion

Customer Question

I have slightly dulled hearing in one ear, I'd like your opinion on what I could be. When I rub my tragus in my left earths sound is sharp and clear, my right is dulled and not as sharp. It also is painful to out a cotton bud inside. I believe I went to te doctor about it about 5 years ago and they said one of my ears was very clogged and the other was clear. It may be something to do with this. However when I was at primary school about 10 years ago, I had a okay fight and another kid pulled on my right ear for a short time quite hard. I remeber it being quite painful, I wonder if that is the reason I could have dulled hearing In that ear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
H--any pain or drainage from the ear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pain at time if ear pulling but not so much recently. Strange crumpling sounds sometimes especially after I try cleaning them
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK James. It sounds like you probably have a cerumen--wax--impaction in at least the one ear and there may be a bit of a middle ear or an ear canal infection there too. Don't try clearing anything out with a Q Tip and have a doctor take a look. You may only need canal irrigations in the office to clear out the wax but after that with another look after the wax is cleared you might need some antibiotics