Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been diagnosed with depression and am on mirtazipine

I have been diagnosed with depression and am on mirtazipine 30 mg and they don't seem to be working. My gp thinks they are as I haven't taken an overdose for about 5 months, which I did a few of during the last part of last year. The thing is I think of suicide every day and have to set goals to get through each day/ night. I want this bad feeling of despair to go and I am not sure how to go about it and who to see other than my gp who I feel thinks I am just being a general nuisance, and that I need to get a grip and get on with my life.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that you should not be managed by your GP at all.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should be referred to a specialist as soon as possible.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist.

Customer: I have tried this, but there seems to be a lack of mental health teams where I live. My gp thinks pills and exercise is the answer and I do both. Is self referral an option or not?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Well, I personally think that since mirtazapine has not helped you with your symptoms and you feel suicidal almost every single day you should consult your GP ASAP and tell him that you feel suicidal and ask him to refer you. Or you can try a self referral and see if that works.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But you certainly do need to have this taken care of ASAP

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I need more and you have confirmed this for me. I feel like I am losing my mind. I will go back to my gp and ask again to be referred on.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Customer: Good bye and thank you again
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Good bye :)