Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

We have been told my grandson age 6 likely has a nueropathy

We have been told my grandson age 6 likely has a nueropathy after visiting a pediatric neurologist. We are waiting for emg and nerve conduction tests. He still has knee jerk reflex and there is no family history. His dad did have some swallowing difficulty some time ago but it was investigated and no problems were found. He has bilateral foot drop and there seems to be some muscle wastage by his thumb. Do you have opinion on what type of nueropathy it could be.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

Theres no way to know based on soley the presence of foot drop. Foot drop is a symptom of another disorder and not a disease in and of itself. The most common causes in children are a muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy. The pediatric neurologist is the next best step so you are on the right track. He or she can narrow it down and refer your grandson for the appropriate testing. Good luck and hang in there.