Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I think I might have high cortisone levels. My symptoms are

I think I might have high cortisone levels. My symptoms are permanent irritability, grouchiness (especially around partner, children) a general feeling of uncomfortableness in my gut. It's not like depression as such - just permanently uncomfortable, irritable, never relaxed. I have read about people having enhanced 'fight or flight' - is it possible to test for this?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes there is a test for cortisol

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I do not think that your symptoms fit into higher cortisol too much.

Customer: yes to be honest I have just been looking online and now I am not sure. I am very unmotivated generally, just want to go down and lie in bed and sit with the uncomfortableness i feel all the time. Maybe it is depression. I feel a lot of anger and irritability all the time. I am not very nice to live with. I don't want to feel like this.
Customer: I am not: overweight, wide awake at night, do not have low sex drive (actually high but not getting any!!) , do not get lots of colds - these seem to be the symptoms
Customer: sorry meant to say … these seem to be the symptoms of high cortisol. And I actually don't have these.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you could be having a bit of anxiety/depression leading to the symptoms that you are having. I do not think its related to cortisol.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would like that you should be on something like escitalopram at a dose of 10 mg once daily to see if that helps you with your symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This will calm you down and help with your symptoms.

Customer: I have tried meditation and this helps a bit. Very cautious about medication. I have lots of obsessive behaviour which I cannot seem to stop - pornography (nothing illegal!), recently started buying shares and keep checking all the time, thinking about sex all the time.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

A referral to a psychiatrist will help.

Customer: are there any side effects to escitalopram? I am in the UK is this available here?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes available everywhere.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its a very safe medication.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Obviously every medication may have side effects but those are rare with this medication.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There are many other medications in the SSRI class that may help you like paroxetine, fluoxetine etc.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer: yes i have had these problems for years but have tried so hard not to go down the medication route. home life is so unhappy and i am the problem i think. think i might have to bite the bullet and consider it.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I think that you should consider it and give it a good try.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I should help in my opinion.

Customer: how long does it take to have an effect?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Two weeks usually.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can take up to a period of four weeks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Sometimes effects start with in days.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So varies from person to person.

Customer: and do you have to keep taking it FOREVER? or can you stop after a few months. I just don't want to be on something for the rest of my life!
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes one can stop taking it after a few months.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You do not have to take it forever.

Customer: ok I will go and visit my doctor - try to get an appointment for tomorrow.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Great. Any more questions?

Customer: No thank you.