Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have been told that my fertin in my blood is high they are

Customer Question

i have been told that my fertin in my blood is high they are waiting for a iron binding test reult that ahs alrady taken 10 days what is this test and how long does it normaly take
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
The iron binding capacity is a measure of iron in the blood. Iron in the blood is carried by a protein, since iron does not easily go into solution. The iron binding capacity determines what percentage of the protein is actually carrying iron.

It is necessary to check an iron binding capacity to assess the ferritin, because the ferritin is one of many proteins that can increase as a generic response to illness. If the ferritin is increased because of excess iron, then the iron binding capacity will be elevated. If the ferritin is increased because of a generic response to illness, the iron binding capacity will be normal or low.

The usual turn around time is a few days. The fact that it has taken longer is typically not a reflection that there is something abnormal in the test, as the test can be rechecked the same day or at worst the next day. It is more likely that there is a technical issue, such as maintenance on the lab machine, that is causing a delay of this magnitude.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.