DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my dad has end stage kidney disease and end stage heart failure.

Customer Question

my dad has end stage kidney disease and end stage heart failure. he is a 62 year old male with diabetes dependant on insulin.
he was recently in hospital with large scrotal swelling which we have been told was due to fluid retention due to the decompensated heart failure. he was treated with IV FRUSEMIDE AND IV DOPAMINE infusion to help him stablise the kidneys and to get rid of the fluid as much as possible within his body.

we have been told his life expectancy is only a few days - weeks - months, we would like to know if this is a correct expectation as he has recurrent large scrotal swelling again
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
He may never get the swelling again.
But it is true that he has a poor prognosis, particularly if his ejection fraction is below 50. Then below 35, etc.
The lower below 50, the worse the prognosis.
But it is wrong to say you can predict exactly.

If he has very good treatment, a year, two years, etc...also possible.

When I hear a statement like that, I sent a family member or patient to the best cardiologist I can find for a second opinion.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

thanks for the answer

but is it true that the scrotal swelling is due to the decompensated heart failure.

his kidneys are working at egfr on 22

he has had a cardiac arrest before

4 heart attacks

he is now on oramorph 5ml every 4 hours

he has lorazepam 1mg tablet at night for his severe agitation

he has been discharged with end of life drugs such as

midazolam - agitation

haloperidol - sickness

glycroponium for lung secretions

is the life expectancy true that he is very poorly and may not recover... they have decided to do a DNR order

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
It is even true that it is due to a combination of heart failure and renal failure.
It is called third spacing and it is common when heart failure decompensates.
But I would not accept this answer from one cardiologist.

Please to not forget a positive rating.