Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

If fatigue syndrone is caused in part by mitochondrial

If chronic fatigue syndrone is caused in part by mitochondrial failure,is it likely to adversely effect a males fertility as the energy production for the sperms motility may be impaired? I'm worried my cfs could cause fertlity problems. Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Its very unlikely that chronic fatigue is caused by mitochondrial failure. Even if it were, that would be failure of mitochondria in the somatic cells of the body.

Sperm cells are gametes and are separate entities with their own mitochondria. As long as they are normally formed and motile, they would be normal.

Chronic fatigue has not been associated with a decrease in fertility in men. It has been associated with a decrease in overall life expectancy for poorly understood reasons.

I hope this answers your questions.