Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I HAD special blood test for Acetylcholene ANTIBODIES Receptor my result was positive (0.1

Customer Question

I HAD special blood test for Acetylcholene ANTIBODIES Receptor my result was positive (0.13 TOXIN BOUND) WHAT IS THE normal reference is it 0.05nmol/L or 0.5nmol/L
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Normally, there is no acetylcholine receptor antibody (or less than 0.05 nmol/L) in the bloodstream

Dr. David :

higher levels can mean myasthenia gravis

Dr. David :

do you have symptoms of myasthenia gravis?

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-0g3e1yhx- :

Thank you Dr. DAVID, I suffer from debilitating weakness, fatigue very weak voice,positive schirmer test (very dry eyes and very bad dry mouth) no stamina, problem eating solids, I have been ill for over 20 years, for some reason in 2003 I got a lot worse, doctors couldn't get to bottom of it, I came across an endoscopy result which Stated "This person has been warned to seek medical help in the event of Pain Dysphagia" but I was not told!!! I had to research myself so I typed Pain Dysphagia into Computer it took me to myasthenia Gravis where I recognised all the symptoms thus I requested to see a nuerologist (I had to respectfully demand) this is how I got my results. I also had a big operation for Diaphragmatic Hernie and very severe acid in 2006. I prayed this would help but it didn't the awful weakness ect continued. I also tried the pill capsule IT DIDN'T WORK!! I WENT PRIVATE FOR THIS AND THE CONSULTANT TOLD ME I HAD 'A MECHANICAL FAULT IN MY GUT' the neurologist told me it was positive but another Doctor said I don't have it I honestly think they don't want me to get answers. I also got an MRI which stated 'white lesions consistant with small vessel disease (Ive had constant Angina type pain since 2003, seen consultants and they could not find anything either) this svd diagnosis fits my symptoms but AGAIN this has never been mentioned. I am at my wits end! (Isent for test results myself) These Doctors say it is 0.5nmol/L but I know it's 0.05 may I ask your opinion, thankyou.

Dr. David :

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003576.htm

Dr. David :

you can print that out and show that to your doctors and neurologist.

Dr. David :

it says that it has to be less than 0.05 nmol/L

Dr. David :

Mayo labs says "Values >0.02 nmol/L are consistent with a diagnosis of acquired myasthenia gravis (MG), provided that clinical/electrophysiological criteria support that diagnosis"

Dr. David :

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical%2Band%2BInterpretive/8338

Dr. David :

so that is even lower and your level is much higher than 0.02

Dr. David :

you need to see a neurologist and request strongly that you be diagnosed with myasthenia gravis and start some therapy.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

JACUSTOMER-0g3e1yhx- :

did u receive bigger question?

Dr. David :

I saw your long reply above

Dr. David :

did you see my reply after that?

JACUSTOMER-0g3e1yhx- :

Dr. David my husband went to my g.p. (which he doesn't do lightly) he sent a letter to say my husband had been to see him stating 'my wife is very ill' it made no difference the doctor who said I didn't have M.G. refuses to let the other nuerologist see me. I also had an EMG which she says was negative and there was no antibodies this time. If I had Acetylcholene Antibodies the first time surely I STILL HAVE THEM? This is a nightmare. Thank you, ***** ***** been very kind and helpful.

Dr. David :

it would be unlikely if you didn't have them the first time.

Dr. David :

I would get a copy of your prior blood work checking for these antibodies before and see.

Dr. David :

you have current blood work which shows that you do have them now anyway.

Dr. David :

which means this is a real possible diagnosis for you now.

JACUSTOMER-0g3e1yhx- :

Dr. DAVID, does it strengthen my diagnosis if it is 'TOXIN BOUND'?

Dr. David :

the toxin bound antibodies is just one way to measure how many antibodies there are in the blood.

Dr. David :

and for this lab test, this is how they measured it.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

JACUSTOMER-0g3e1yhx- :

o.k. thank you very much.

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello Dr. David I was browsing through my phone and I came accross your answers which were very helpful and I hope you don't mind me giving you an update.
I had the 2nd Antibody test would you believe it had doubled to 0.26nmol/L and "they" sent me a letter saying this result was negative so I just put the letter in a drawer and concentrated on my severe abdominal pain privately I found a wonderful consultant who really supported me, I told him (a Dr. Arnott, gastroenterologist I had to travel to Edinburgh to get away from consultants who had been treating me, I didn,t trust them and as it turned out I was right.) Dr. Arnott asked why I had gone to him I told him I had heard of Endoscopy Pill after listening to me he agreed it would be worth a try he also said if there were any problems he would take me to the NHS hospital where he also worked, I couldnt believe my luck. The private procedure failed due to a "mechanical fault" in my gut, (Dr. Arnotts words) so good as his word heocedure later. arranged for me to have it manually put into my instestines.( I will tell u about pr
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I see

thanks for the update

I think your sentence was cut off at the end.

let me know how your pill endoscopy went.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr. David it's Iris Shanks you asked me to let you know result of pill camera (sorry for long delay but I just found it as I was reading through your answer) anyway pill camera result "FRESH BLEEDING DUODENAL PILL ENDOSCOPY" would you believe Dr. Arnott told me "there was a little blood so I want to re-do endoscopy (not by pill) he said it was negative I was very upset (I needed a diagnosis because I am very upset with longstanding health problems) and he discharged me (by the way I have a condition called "negative endoscopy reflux disease" but I only found it by researching my medical records (I had to research myself) but I came accross the pill camera results and it stated above result, I was so shocked that Dr. Arnott lied to me (I told you before I felt they didn't want me to get a diagnoses because I've had my condition so long) I e mailed Dr. Arnott and said the camera doesnt lie!! he phoned me immediately and has offered to re-do test!!! I have refused this and told him to treat me (1 year after!!! I could have been on medication!!) for pill camera result!! ) I am waiting on response!! Can you tell me how this condition (i.e. long time bleeding) would be treated (I am on ferrous fumerate for the Anemia I have just found out I have low iron stores and because of severe esopgeogitis in past this is the answer to long standing Anemia) but what about continued bleeding, can you advise me please, I will gladly pay you of course for any advice. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
treatment for a duodenal bleeding ulcer is treated with stomach acid blocking medications like nexium and also coating medications like carafate which can coat and protect the ulcer

you also have to avoid foods which worsen stomach acid like alcohol, spicy foods, tomato sauces, black pepper, acidic juices, oily foods.

you should get your stools checked for blood which can be a sign of bleeding from the duodenual ulcer.

you really need to start a new question for me here since it has been so long

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I don't think you saw my reply above.

let me know if you have questions.