DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello. I have a daughter of approx 7 months who has recently

Hello.

I have a daughter of approx 7 months who has recently been exhibiting some new behaviour which is giving me some concern.

She is spontaneously squinting her eyes and jerking her head to her right shoulder. The motion is sometimes subtle and sometimes more obvious. Her body seems to tense when she does this, and he limbs become quite jerky.

At first she did it after making a smile (as is on most of these videos) though she has started doing it more out of the blue, as in the last clip of the supplied video below.

She has seen a local GP who dismissed it as nothing to worry about, but he did no tests apart from looking in her ears and gave no explanation.

It only lasts a second so it's hard to catch on video, but I have a few examples on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralUxJD2Y2k

I would simply like to know if this is normal behaviour, or if it's something that warrants further investigation privately (we are in the UK).

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA

To me, the video looks quite normal although if it were my baby, I would also be worried. There may be something that is irritating her eye. Does she have a blocked tear duct?

While I think the possibility of seizure activity is VERY unlikely, it should be ruled out. You should consider taking her to see a private pediatric neurologist for peace of mind.

What a darling baby! So cute.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Specifically requested a Neurologist
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
There is no neurologist on line currently.
However, I am a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine with advanced neurology training and can help you.

It appears no testing has been done of the baby not even blood tests, is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No no tests

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
And no neurological exam.
The video does not look like seizure activity.

Ultimately a close neurological exam is needed...and if there is a concern, an EEG...even that does not 100% rule out seizures.
But makes it very unlikely if exam and testing are negative.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello thanks for confirming it doesn't look like seizure activity.

She has however started showing some other odd movements which we have captured this weekend. If you see here you can see it gets more intense around 1min 30 seconds: http://youtu.be/HSTMoijgJoo

Would you say this appears normal too?

Kind thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Not classic seizure activity, but possible.

Same recommendations.

Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for looking.

We will book another appointment and see if we can get a referral. I am guessing this is non-urgent in your view but worth investigating?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Non urgent
Worth investigating.
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. T enjoy your sunday

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You as well
Good luck;
Please do not forget a positive rating [or I don't get paid by ja]
Find me anytime
I am here daily
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.