Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I have an suspected unknown virus which has been causing

Customer Question

Hi, I have an suspected unknown virus which has been causing me many symptoms for over 2 years now. I have been tested for many viruses but everything has come back negative. I regularly get tongue sores, which have already been tested for HSV but was negative also. My question is: would it be possible to have a viral culture on this tongue sore to detect the presence of a virus (non-specific) as if I can prove a virus is causing my symptoms then the infectious Diseases consultant will experiment with antiviral treatments.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. First off I need some more information please. Any other symptoms besides your tongue problem and can you describe the sores? What tests precisely have you had so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have muscle twitching, stinging muscle pain mostly by my joints, but I believe this to be tissue pain rather that the actual joints. I have tongue sores, these are not like canker sores, they have a red border and get bigger until they eventually grow out. The sores are usually at the front of the tongue in around the same place.

I have a slight tremor. Over the past 7 months my eye has become affected. I have developed eye floaters. Then a few weeks after this i noticed the pupil in my right eye reacts to light in a spasm like fashion and is larger than the left pupil, more visible in dim light. Now the eye has began to swell, it protrudes out and the vision in it is blurring. I have had a very comprehensive range of tests and I have seen the Neurologist, Ophthalmologist and Infectious diseases specialists with no joy.

Is it possible to call you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry we can only communicate here but can you tell me all the testing you've had so far because there are several possibilities as to the diagnosis here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been tested for HIV, HSV EBV CMV toxoplasmosis, HTLV-1+2, CRP Plasma viscosity (1.73) plus all the sexual screening tests and swobs. I have been tested for a panel of auto antibodies too - all negative.

I did definitely get a virus off a casual partner I had, and all this started from there. I am of the belief now that all these problems are either caused by a persistent, non specific virus or some type of auto immune response. However, if I can get a non-specific viral culture on my tongue sore for example, then this could be some evidence to support the viral cause.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just one more question--were you screened for autoimmune disorders like lupus and for vitamin deficiencies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really screened for auto immune disorders but I did have a large quantity of auto immune antibody tets, ANAs? and I haven't been screened for autoimmune disorders - who is the best specialist for auto immune disorders?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And about the vitamin deficiencies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I had a vitamin d test which was ok, but to be fair I do take a good quality multi vit for ages. I have and do get a lot of pain in my glands of the neck and occipital nodes too. The glands have been scanned and are ok, but are reactive and have been for over 18 months now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK and we can continue after this if you'd like. A culture of a sore and even a biopsy would be appropriate here but I don't think this is a viral problem. You well may have an autoimmune disorder or something called Behcet's disease or you could have a vitamin B12 deficiency. I think your next step should be a rheumatologist for a fuller workup than what you've had so far.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks, I will request a referral. With the Viral culture, would the lab just identify that there is/is not a virus present or would they need to look for specific viruses? Also who could I request this test from? Thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
They would look for specific viruses and that order would be from an infectious disease specialist. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you