Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

hi there, I have been given prednisone 40mg per day, as

Customer Question

hi there,

I have been given prednisone 40mg per day, as I have had a rare reaction to mebeverine. I had had hives for the past week, and my doctor has no choice but to prescribe steroids.

My first question is........what if prednisone doesn't work?

My second question is.......if it does work, but after coming back off the steroids and they return?

I know its dangerous to stay on steroids for long term, and im really worried

Paul
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--is this going to be a tapering dose of prednisone and, if so, over what period of time? Have you stopped the mebeverine? Any other known allergies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Chip, thank for your reply. I am on a 5 day prescription. My GP has said if this doesn't work to return to him.

I am stopped the Mebeverine last Thursday, but still have the hives (pain full and itchy)

I have never suffered any type of allergies of any kind, so I really don't know why my body is acting this way

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, any medication can cause an allergic reaction Paul even if you've never had one to other meds. I understand your concern here but really nothing to worry about. Prednisone given for, say, more than two months can cause problems but that's not the case with a five day course. This should resolve your reaction and there's no reason to think it will recur
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Chip,

When should the rash go away cause this is the second day I have been on the steroids and not even the slightest bit difference

Paul

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Paul it may take the full course of the prednisone before that happens so try to be patient
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks doctor, im just tired of looking like a leopard :(,

I've been getting strange stuff happen, don't know if its the side effects of being on the steroids. I take my 40mg tablet in the morning as soon as I get up, but late afternoon I feel extremely tired and I feel like I've run 10 marathons and struggle to get up the stairs.

With the extreme tiredness, I feel like ive no energy and when its time to go to bed I cant sleep

Is this all due to the steroids doctor?

Many Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Paul--how has your sleep been?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm currently been prescribed 30mg of Amitriptylne, and have been for over 3 years, since going on the steroids I cant sleep I try everything but nothing works, even though I still take my sleeping meds and have done for 3 years and the dosage is stayed the same all the time

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Paul, usually if anything prednisone will give someone a bit of a boost in energy but not fatigue. However, prednisone can cause sleep problems and that's more likely what's going on here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could be doing with a bit of a boost!, also I could be speaking then lose my trail of thought, I think that's one of the side of effects of steroids or am I wrong?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--that can be a side effect