Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

does a polypectomy remove all of the polyp or does it just skim off the surface? should y

Customer Question

does a polypectomy remove all of the polyp or does it just skim off the surface?
should you biopsy a fibroid? fibroid was seen on scan but not on hysteroscopy because it is in uterine wall, is it still possible to remove it?
what is the likelihood of them growing back.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--where was the polyp? How large is the fibroid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the ec nogenic focus polyp was on the posterior wall, 14mm/9.9mm before op 10.2/7.5 on last scan. The intramural fundal fibroid was 17mm / 10.3

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Yes a polypectomy removes the entire polyp and doesn't just skim the surface. In general, fibroids don't need to be biopsied unless they appear suspicious in the scans. It is possible to remove fibroids either through the inside of the uterine wall or with laparoscopic surgery but unless they are causing pain or abnormal bleeding there's no need to remove them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am left wondering why the entire polyp was not removed the first time. is it necessary to take norethisterone prior to surgery

/

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, sometimes polyps recur even if they've been fully removed. The noresthisterone is used to try to shrink fibroids but if surgery is considered it isn't necessary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is there a best time in your cycle to have the operation?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

The procedure can be done at any point in the cycle

However, it would be easier for the doctor if it weren't during the shedding of the endometrium or during your period in other words
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would you think that it would be better to have a hysterectomy

It would certainly be simpler!

I would probably just do that if it were me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for fast reply, given that my cycle is unpredictable i would't know when to schedule the surgery to remove the polyp

Well it doesn't have to be at any certain time

It can be done any time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your answer

welcome