Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hello, I have had been suffering from a mildly sore throat

Hello, I have had been suffering from a mildly sore throat for approx 2 weeks, it then became very severe last weekend, almost impossible to swallow or eat anything at all & the addition of hot/cold flushes/sweats, & the back of my tongue swollen & cracked to sides. Which has been consistent for the past week, just getting myself to work daily & function normally has taken great effort. Paracetamol/ibruprofen have no affect at all but, cough medicine, lozenges & tyrozets all briefly alleviate the pain - only if I take very often & far more regularly than stated recommended dosage. I saw a nurse practitioner this morning, who basically intimated that because I'm a smoker, what else should I expect, suck it up & come back in a week if no change, without stating any information at all I was told "it's one of the virus's going about at the moment".
Extremely confused & disillusioned I'm scouring the web for sites that sell antibiotics, please help.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

No need to feel disillusioned or confused, it sounds like your nurse practitioner may be. While this may be a virus, strep throat is also possible. The only way to know is with a throat swab.

Strep in adults only causes about ten percent of all sore throats. It is characterized by a sudden and severe sore throat. High fever, swollen nodes and rash can also occur. If there are other cold symptoms its NOT strep throat. Strep is treated with amoxicillin, ampicillin, or penicillin.

You may be able to get this online or otc. Good luck.