Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My ferritin level has come back as 670 ug/L and my haemoglobin

My ferritin level has come back as 670 ug/L and my haemoglobin as 130 g/L i am a 53 yr old man with Type 2 diabetes - well controlled. Red cell count was4.36 and haemocrit 0.381

I also have a swollen gland in my groin and a persistent blocked nose and mucus in my throat affecting my voice quality.

Do you think they are linked and what can bloods mean?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Hi Chris

I noticed you couldn't enter chat

Can you give me the ranges on those labs and what medicines you take?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

your ferritin levels are very high

normal ferritin levels should be 12-300 ng/mL or 12-300 ug/L for you.

670ug/L ferritin is very high and can be due to too much iron in your system (Hemochromatosis) or alcoholic liver disease. you need to have your liver tested with a liver ultrasound or liver MRI scan. do you drink lots of alcohol?

persistant blocked nose and mucous could be due to chronic inflammation of your sinuses from allergies or poor sinus drainage. you might need a CT scan of your sinuses to see if you have long term sinus inflammation and to see if you might need sinus surgery. or you could benefit from taking allergy medications possibly and using a steroid nasal spray to help decrease inflammation in your sinuses.

the groin lymph node would depend on how large that is and is best seen with an ultrasound scan of the lymph node. have you had that done?

do you drink lots of alcohol?

I don't think all of your symptoms are connected.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sorry I have struggled to get into the chat,

there is no range given for the ferritin or the HB, the Red blood cell count says 4.36 10*12/L

These were not fasting bloods. It says white count is normal at 6.40 folate also normal.

HBA1c was 41mmol and lipids 3.0

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate 9mm

I am just getting my tabs together - I take metformin 3 x day 500mg and

Losartin which has recently been halved as my blood pressure is much better.

I used to drink a lot and was overweight, in last 6 months I have really got to grips with it all and am now an occasional drinker and have deliberately lost 3 stone - I am now 13st 4 and haven't lost anymore since coming off the diet. I have had diabetes 2 for 8 years.

The glands were up on both sides, one side is nearly normal but the other is still up although I think a bit smaller - there are two lumps they are painful to touch and about 3/4 cm slightly oval in shape.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
hemoglobin a1c level is given in percent

your glucose level could have been mmol/L level

you want your hemoglobin a1c level to be in 6% range or lower. to show your glucose is being properly controlled.

I am glad you have cut down on your drinking. and have lost weight.

work on continuing to exercise and cut your calories to loose weight and work on further decreasing your drinking.

you still need scans of your liver.

your ferritin is most likely high from your prior heavy alcohol use.

you need also ultrasound scans of those painful glands in the groin area. these glands could be painful and enlarged from viral infection or inflammation. an ultrasound can tell more about how large they are and what might be causing them to swell.

does this help?

do you have other questions?
I would like to provide another opinion.

The ferritin can be high for many reasons

any type of inflammation can result in a high ferritin level

you need an ultrasound of the liver.

The glands may be enlarged from allergies.

Where are they located again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The glands up are in my groin, none are up anywhere else as I can see. I have no other 'down there' symptoms.

If the glands are swollen in the groin then this needs to be investigated further.

I would recommend an ultrasound and possible biopsy

The allergies wouldn't cause this.

Infection or cancer are a concern. More likely infection
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My liver function test was normal - is this important in relation to the ferritin levels being high?

Yes, it is.

That makes things like hemochromatosis less likely

This is an iron storage disease where you store too much iron

I doubt you have that but it warrants investigation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

another doctor joined and answered that my former high alcohol levels were a likely cause of high ferritin, and suggested liver scan - is the result of normal liver function a good sign that my liver might be ok - I'm a bit confused

Yes, I disagree with that.

If you quit alcohol then it is likely not causing it at this time

More likely the ferritin is a marker of inflammation

I recommend seeing a blood doctor to work up the hemochromatosis but I don't think you need a liver scan.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats good about the liver - I have had some stomach cramps but thought that was the metformin. Do you think it could be hemochromatosis rather than something inflammatory?

No, I don't think so.

Hemochromatosis usually has ferritin in the thousands

Yes, the cramps are likely metformin. that is very common

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you you have been very patient, one very last question - do you think the ferritin is linked to the groin lymph gland enlargement (by the way they haven't got bigger and I think are slightly smaller) - does ferritin elevate in cancer?

No I don't think they are linked

Ferritin can elevate in cancer but in many other conditions as well

I doubt cancer
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States