Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi Ive been feeling unwell and excessively tired for a year

Customer Question

Hi I've been feeling unwell and excessively tired for a year now. I had some abnormal liver function test s the alt was raised to 160 it has since come down to 87 last month. I was unwell with a urine infection 4 weeks ago which cleared up with antibiotics but was rushed to hospital shortly after and diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. Been put on metformin and gliclazide, problem is I still feel so unwell. I can barely get out of bed. I'm exhausted, dizzy weak and foggy brained all the time despite sleeping for England. I've had quite alot of stress over the past few months and had put it all down to that. I've suffered anxiety and depression for years and am on medication for these. I've had thyroid test. Came back at 1,45 within normal lab range. I must admit I haven't been that on top of my diabetes tablets as I struggle to eat and be awake at the right times no matter how hard I try. My levels tho are usually under 10 mmol/l. And I have cut down on sugars and carbs. I just feel like I'm getting worse not better. I've tried going for short walks but struggle to walk for even a few minutes. I've lost confidence in my gp after missing the diabetes even tho I told them last year I was having excessive thirst and weeing all the time, symptoms I recognized from having gestational diabetes 10 years ago. I just feel lost as to what is wrong. I've spoken to other diabetics but none said they felt like this.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can wait. Still feeling exhausted all the time.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will do our best to look for the right Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
What is your question?

We answer medical questions but you have not asked one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm wanting to know the reason behind the excessive tiredness.

Diabetes out of control is one.
Hepatitis is the other.
Your liver function tests should not be up continually.
You need tests as follows.
Hemoglobin A1C.
Hepatitis screens, B and C.
ANA and smooth muscle antibody test for autoimmune hepatitis.
Iron studies and ferritin for hemochromatosis.l
\
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].