Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Will oxygenation of the blood be compromised with high ferritin

Customer Question

Will oxygenation of the blood be compromised with high ferritin levels?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--no, oxygenation wouldn't be a problem so long as the hemoglobin levels were normal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HB is a bit low at 130 g\L but ferritin levels are 670ug/L, my husband is very tired and achy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Chris the elevated ferritin levels can cause that but it wouldn't be from low oxygen levels
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you we are wondering if its hemochromatosis?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it very well could be and he needs more testing and a hematologist to look into that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Could it be that with levels of 670 ug/L? someone told me it would be in the1000's?

Also Chris has enlarged lymph node in his groin could this be connected?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--that's high enough to possibly be hemochromatosis. Unlikely that the lymph node is involved with that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wondered if the ferritin was raised because of some sort of inflammatory thing that might have affected the lymph node.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Unlikely since that would affect more than just one node. Chris, I'll be more than happy to talk more about this with you but first I'd ask you to rate my service to you so far