Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, My father is 68 and is a type 2 diabetic. He went to his

Hi, My father is 68 and is a type 2 diabetic. He went to his gp for a checkup and the gp said the blood test results were all good. They had done a full blood count etc. However the bowel cancer test had come back positive with microscopic traces of blood. My father has had no changes in bowel habits and weight has been steady for 6 months.(he is not overweight). He said he has not noticed any changes etc. The dr has sent him for colonoscopy, my father has had piles in the past. We are all very worried that is might be bowel cancer.. What is your advise?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I understand your concern here. When you say the bowel cancer test are you referring to the stool guaiac test from a stool sample? And has he had colonoscopy in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi yes the stool sample test and never gad colonoscopy before
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Darren. Just because there's microscopic blood in his stool doesn't mean he has colon cancer but it is definitely an indication for colonoscopy. He may only have one or more colon polyps and by removing them there's no risk for cancer. Potentially hemorrhoids can also cause this. There really is no way to tell without the colonoscopy but chances are this isn't cancer