Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Its 1 year exactly since first being admitted to hospital -

Customer Question

Its 1 year exactly since first being admitted to hospital - acute stroke ward, following an 'event' two days earlier.
Following tests & (ct/mri) scans, and a few days resting I was discharged to 'home' - a b&b where I was living.
I now live alone in a flat and wonder that after this long and after a number of smaller 'events' that come on with migraine since, are the now constant 'ear pinging' and frequent headaches things that I should get advice/treatment on.
I cant detect any real loss of memory but some mental functions have gone (analytical decisions) but I remain good at my job (seemingly as I am still employed - having just passed my 65th birthday). I dont have a doctor yet and no clue how to get one who has experience in the field. Any help would be very welcomed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

did the MRI scans show that you had a stroke?

Dr. David :

have you been placed on blood thinners like coumadin or aspirin after your stroke to decrease risks for other strokes?

Dr. David :

you should follow up with your GP and also see a neurologist once or twice a year as well to keep an eye on your neurological symptoms.

Dr. David :

if the prior MRI scan didn't show evidence of stroke, you could have had just a TIA or transient ischemic attack or a small temporary stroke without permanent damage.

Dr. David :

it will be important to check your carotid arteries with an ultrasound to check for plaques which can cause strokes.

Dr. David :

and also get an ultrasound scan of your heart which can spend plaques and clots to your brain.

Dr. David :

also you need to check your fasting cholesterol level to make sure it is not elevated.

Dr. David :

high cholesterol and high blood pressure and diabetes are all risks factors for stroke as well.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

hello Dr David, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX did show a lesion,external brain, top of front section; the symptoms that got me into hospital were severe migraine like headache (but without typical vision effects), and almost comical like uncontrolled body shakes. I didnt receive any post hospital advice, treatment or medication, but suspecting I should help reduce bp (originally at 160+/90) I now take omega 3 capsuls & ginko. bp is more stable these days but periodically get the same symptoms but no shaking. headaches are coming weekly now.

Dr. David :

you need to be on blood pressure medications to decrease your BP

Dr. David :

you need to get your cholesterol checked to see if that is elevated.

Dr. David :

you need to follow up with a neurologist and get those ultrasound scans I mentioned above to check for sources of plaques and clots.

Dr. David :

you need to decrease your salt intake.

Dr. David :

so lots to do to make sure you don't have another stroke again.

Dr. David :

does this make sense?

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

hello again Dr David, thanks for speedy reply. I accept what you say, -alcohol/salt intake now almost at zero. it hasnt ever been explained like this what else I should be doing, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX advice. Atha

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sir, Atha

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Customer:

yes, will respond immediately.

Dr. David :

thanks.