Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have two bruises on my left forearm, nothing unusual there

I have two bruises on my left forearm, nothing unusual there but tonight one bruise is painful and has caused my arm at times to be very painful with astrange sensation in my left finger. I can feel a small elongated lump in center of bruise and on palpating VERY gentally can feel a wire effect from I presume the vein. I have a Dual Pacemaker in situ for S.S.S.and am on Nu-seals Aspirin 75mgs Daily. Thank you for your advice Doctor. Mary, D.O.B 25-04-1945
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mary,

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Are there associated symptoms like swelling around the arm/ vein/ enlarged nodes in the axilla {armpit}?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr.Ken, Thank you for your help.

I have no nodes in my left armpit. The bruise (about two inches ) is raised slightly where it is tender. No noticeable swelling in the arm.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Mary,

Thank you for that additional information.

Bruise which appears without any significant trauma needs to be evaluated for sure. It indicates oozing of blood form tiny vessels under the skin. The causes can be varied - bleeding disorder {clotting factor deficiency or excess blood thinner dose}/ thrombus in the vein {as you rightly think} or inflammation of the vein {thrombophlebitis}. Feeling of lump may indicate intramuscular bruise {formation of hematoma} or clot in the underlying vein. Infection looks less likely in absence of fever and enlarged nodes.

I am worried of clot in the vein. This may get dislodged and obstruct vessels in brain or lung - leading to medical emergency.

Next step - a physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ doppler for upper limb vessels would give us more answers.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid {avoid dehydration}/ keep your arm raised whenever possible. Few signs should prompt ER visit - Black tarry stool/ blood in stool/ loss of consciousness/ breathlessness.

Please do not worry, you will be fine.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Ken,

Being a former Nurse I had those two suspects in my own head. A possible clot is not to be sidetracked, and thrombophlebitis is more on my mind , so I,m taking your advice and will go now for further intervention.

God Bless you Dr. and Thank you again.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Wish you well Mary,

I aim to provide 'Excellent' service. Did I give it to you? If so do consider to rate my answer.

God speed.